During scorching summers with record-breaking heat, ensuring that every household has access to essential utilities is of utmost importance. The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) in Arizona aims to address this need by offering financial relief for water and wastewater bills. This comprehensive program covers a wide range of support, including water service restoration, past-due obligations, and future bills, making it a crucial lifeline for eligible low-income households in the state. It’s different from the Low Income Household Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which is intended to help families pay for their energy/electricity bills.
The LIHWAP program is a statewide initiative, led by the Arizona Department of Economic Security, designed to provide financial aid to households struggling with water-related expenses. It focuses on assisting low-income families who find it challenging to manage their water bills during difficult times, especially amidst scorching summers that increase water consumption. Also, discover why it’s different from the LIHEAP.
How to know if you’re eligible for the LIHWAP program in Arizona
The LIHWAP program is available to households that meet specific eligibility criteria. These criteria are primarily based on income levels and the household’s ability to pay for water services. Once deemed eligible, applicants can receive financial assistance of up to $3,000, depending on the severity of their water-related financial challenges.
One of the key benefits of LIHWAP is the provision for water service restoration. Households that have faced disruptions or disconnections in their water supply due to financial constraints can seek support through the program. This crucial assistance ensures that families do not endure the hardships of living without access to clean and safe water.
Help in the payment of overdue and upcoming bills
For many low-income households, past-due water bills can become overwhelming, leading to further financial strain. LIHWAP offers relief from such past-due obligations, allowing families to overcome outstanding debts and achieve a fresh start concerning their water expenses.
In addition to addressing overdue payments, the LIHWAP program looks ahead by offering assistance with future water bills. By doing so, it aims to alleviate ongoing financial burdens, enabling families to plan and manage their budget better.
How to apply for LIHWAP in Arizona
Individuals or households wishing to apply for LIHWAP benefits must meet the following requirements:
- Be (or a member of the household is) a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen.
- Qualified non-citizens comprise lawful permanent residents, asylees, refugees, certain individuals with parole status, those with withheld deportations, those granted conditional entry (before April 1, 1980), individuals victimized by battery, Cuban/Haitian entrants, and victims of severe trafficking.
- Be a resident in the state of Arizona when applying, demostrating it with a water bill entitled to you, from water services within the state.
- Your household has an income of or below 60% of the state median income (for households of 8 or fewer members), or have a household income at or below 150% of the federal poverty level (for households with over 8 members).
- The individual or household have not received any other related assistance for water services, during the time period for which is seeking LIHWAP aid.
This is the LIHWAP maximum monthly gross income limit the applicant must not surpass, in order to qualify:
- 1 person: $2,238
- 2 people: $2,926
- 3 people: $3,615
- 4 people: $4,303
- 5 people: $4,992
- 6 people: $5,681
- 7 people: $5,810
- 8 people: $5,939
- 9 people: $6,418
- 10 people: $7,008
- 11 people: $7,598
- 12 people: $8,188
- 13 people: $8,778
- 14 people: $9,368
- 15 people: $9,958
- 16 people: $10,548
- 17 people: $11,138
You can apply for LIHWAP assistance safely and conveniently online using the official portal, or by calling at 1-833-453-2142. There, they will kindly guide you through the whole process.