As temperatures skyrockets across the southern and eastern United States, including the Commonwealth, many Kentucky residents are cranking up their air conditioning to beat the scorching heat. However, this increased energy consumption is leading to higher electric bills. That’s when the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) come into play to help eligible households during extreme weather conditions.
Administered by Gateway Community Action, LIHEAP Summer Subsidy program is currently accepting applications. This initiative aims to alleviate the burden of higher electric bills during extreme weather conditions. Eligible households can receive a one-time benefit ranging from $50 to $250, depending on every case.
How to qualify for LIHEAP benefits in Kentucky while there’s still funds available
To qualify for LIHEAP, your household income should be up to and including 150% of the federal poverty guideline. This income threshold is designed to assist those with limited financial resources. Applications for LIHEAP’s Summer Subsidy program will be accepted through September 22. However, keep in mind that the program may close earlier if funds are depleted, so applying early is advisable.
The LIHWAP program also provides a one-time benefit ranging from $50 to $100 depending on the household’s income levels. The LIHWAP is the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program that helps to pay for water bills, also during the climatic crisis that might affect the human health (read this article to the end to discover how to apply to this program as well).
Requirements to apply for the LIHEAP program in Kentucky
The documents required to apply for LIHEAP benefits are:
- The social Security numbers of every household’s member, or permanent resident card, known as Green Card.
- Proof of all household’s members income from the preceding month, such as food stamps award letter, Social Security Award Letter, pay stubs, etc. or other proof of $0 income.
- The current electricity bills, water, and wastewater bill, or statement from your landlord if electric and/or water/wastewater is included in your rent, or statement from utility company if you participate in a Pre-Pay Electric Program.
- Provide the account number and name of the person holding the energy bills.
Where can I request the LIHEAP benefits?
You can start your application process in one of these locations of the 2023 LIHEAP Summer Subsidy program:
- South Central Neighborhood Place, 4255 Hazelwood Ave., 40215
- Ujima Neighborhood Place, 3610 Bohne Ave., 40211
- Bridges of Hope Neighborhood Place,1411 Algonquin Pkwy., 40210
- Newburg Community Center, 4810 Exeter Ave., 40218
- Cane Run Neighborhood Place, 3410 Lees Lane, 40216
- Northwest Neighborhood Place, 4018 W. Market St., 40212
- Charmoli Neighborhood Place, 9100 Marksfield Rd., Ste. 100, 40222
More information can be found by calling at 800-927-1833, or at the official website here.
You can also apply for the LIHWAP program in Kentucky
Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) benefits are accessible in Kentucky through the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services LIHWAP program. You can apply now by following the next steps:
If you’re looking to engage with the LIHWAP program in Kentucky, your primary point of contact is the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Feel free to contact them for information regarding the application procedure and the qualifications needed. They will also be able to furnish you with the necessary LIHWAP water bill payment assistance application form.
Qualification requirements for LIHWAP assistance in Kentucky may differ based on variables like income, water system involvement, location of residence, and other considerations. The LIHWAP program in ever state generally employ a percentage of the Federal Poverty Level as the benchmark for income eligibility.
When applying, the official will require you to provide certain documents, such as the application form provided by the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, the social security cards of the applicant and every member in the household, and more documents as established here. If you want to dig into the details, visit the official website, lihwap.us.