Every month, the Social Security Administration (SSA) distributes Social Security checks, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and other benefits such as disability and survivor benefits. As we approach June, the SSA is gearing up to disburse the next round of benefits. Interestingly, certain recipients will be receiving a double payment this upcoming month.
In June, recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will receive two payments. This is a characteristic of the distribution schedule, which occasionally results in two checks being sent in one month, followed by a month without any payment. Normally, Social Security payments are dispatched on the first day of each month.
June’s double Social Security payment
However, if the first day of a month falls on a weekend, the payment is issued at the end of the preceding month. Specifically, if the first day lands on a Saturday or Sunday, the payment for that month is dispatched on the preceding Friday. This is the case for June, which is why some recipients will receive two payments. On average, SSI payments are around $650. The maximum benefit is $914 per month for an individual and $1,371 for a married couple, where both spouses qualify for the program.
Let’s take a closer look at who qualifies, the potential amounts, payment dates, and the reason behind these double payments. Below is the schedule for months when SSI recipients will receive double payments:
- SSI Recipients: June 1
- Payees who began receiving payments before May 1997: June 2
- Beneficiaries with birthdays from the 1st to 10th: June 14
- Beneficiaries with birthdays from the 11th to 20th: June 21
- Beneficiaries with birthdays from the 21st to 31st: June 28
- SSI Recipients (for July’s payment): June 30
- SSI recipients and recipients who began receiving their payments before May 1997: September 1
- Beneficiaries with birthdays from the 1st to 10th: September 13
- Beneficiaries with birthdays from the 11th to 20th: September 20
- Beneficiaries with birthdays from the 21st to 31st: September 27
- SSI Recipients (for October’s payment): September 29
The SSI payment for June will be issued on the first day of the month, and an additional payment will be sent out on June 30th, intended for July’s payment. The second payment is scheduled for the last Friday of June, because the first day of July falls on a Saturday. Consequently, SSI recipients can anticipate two payments in June, but none in July. This pattern will also occur in September and December of 2023.