As a housewife casa and hard-working person, I know firsthand that cleaning the house is an extremely tedious task, especially when you have a full-time job and the short weekend flies by and there’s never enough time for organizing and cleaning the homeplanning meals and resting, it’s like the hamster wheel that never stops turning!
However, there is a very real saying that changed the way I look at this household chore: “ Cleaningis a habit that keeps body, mind and environment clean and free of dirt and toxicity” and it is absolutely true. A tidy and well-scented home indirectly generates spiritual and mental balance and relaxation.
How to deep clean your house in 1 day Household Chores
It is not necessary to slave away and spend the day behind broom, vacuum cleaner and mop. The main thing is to manage the time available, determine the dirtiest areas and attack the dirt more intelligently, efficiently, quickly and without overspending. So, if this is also your goal, keep reading this article that I have prepared with the most functional method to clean the house thoroughly and leave it sparkling. Take note!
Imagine for a minute that tomorrow you are hosting a dinner party for the owner of your company, your colleagues or your fiancé’s family and you need to do a deep cleaning of your house, which is a mess from head to toe. Has it ever happened to you? I do, and it’s desperate!
And although it may be a bit frustrating, a delicious meal is not enough to make a good impression on your guests. Order, the aroma of “clean” and the neatness of important environments such as the bathroom and kitchen are a reflection of inner well-being and organization in life. So pay attention to this step-by-step guide to cleaning a very dirty house and don’t let home cleanliness be a stumbling block.
Keep cleaning products on hand
To begin with, get the right substances and utensils so you don’t waste time searching from one place to another and avoid unexpected trips to the supermarket because you missed something. You will need a mop, water bucket, garbage bags, broom (or vacuum cleaner), mop, liquid detergent, rubber gloves, dustpan, dry cloths and certain household products such as baking soda, vinegar and ammonia.
Ventilate the area and clean the dust
It is essential to open doors and windows for ventilation before, during and after the cleaning process. Once this is done, it is time to collect the dust, remove all the dirt, cobwebs on the ceiling, pictures, lamps, curtain rods, blinds. In addition, it cleans dust and dirt from tables, furniture, armchairs, dining rooms, doors, glass and windows.
At this point, it is best to wash the curtains, clean the upholstery and sofa covers and always start with the top items and work your way down to the bottom ones.
The forgotten switches
Believe it or not, they get dirtier than anything else and bacteria accumulate in this place. Clean them carefully with a cloth soaked (never soaked) with water and white vinegar or isopropyl alcohol.
Planning: the key to everything
Once the dust has settled, it’s time to plan which room to start with. Don’t forget to organize yourself and work one room at a time, move the objects that can make a lot of space and achieve more impeccable and lasting results.
Sweep the floor well
Using a broom or vacuum cleaner (the best option), remove dust, dirt, pet hair and debris from the floor. Try to move tables, sofas, couches, armchairs, beds and chairs. While sweeping, put dusty furniture covers, curtains and similar fabrics in the washing machine.
Cleans and disinfects the bathroom
The bathroom, next to the kitchen, is the dirtiest area of the home and should be maintained daily. However, it does not hurt to spend some time here as well. See how to do it:
- Start by emptying the drawers or first aid kit, wipe with a damp cloth, discard expired medicines, empty bottles of personal hygiene products and wash the carpets.
- Continue with the toilet. You can use chemical products to clean and disinfect it. My favorite method is to mix bleach and detergent, soak for a few minutes, and then clean another item such as the shower, sink or bathtub. After a few minutes, scrub well with a toilet brush or sponge and flush the toilet twice if necessary.
- It’s shower and bath time. To do this, prepare a pasty mixture with baking soda and vinegar to disinfect and whiten porcelain or tiles. Rub on yellowish stains and mildew, leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse with plenty of lukewarm water.
- Clean the tiles with a cloth dampened with bleach, vinegar or ammonia (one of the three) diluted in water. Then, with another microfiber cloth soaked in vinegar, clean the mirrors and glass doors.
- When finished, scrub the floor with warm water and soap.
The kitchen: the heart of the home
This is one of the most attention and time consuming rooms, and truth be told, it’s not only about sanitizing the sink, stove and countertop, which we usually do on a daily basis, but also about cleaning forgotten appliances like this:
- Dishwasher: Although most dishwashers have an automatic cleaning cycle, it is advisable to clean it manually and discard the food accumulated at the bottom.
- Oven: To clean the oven, remove the racks, soak them in hot water, soap, lemon and baking soda and scrub with a steel wool pad. For the interior, spray vinegar on the floor and walls and let it act for 15 minutes, then prepare a paste with baking soda and lemon juice and spread it over the vinegar, wait 6 hours for it to act and remove the remains with a wet cloth.
- Microwaves: Food odor permeates inside and splashes on the food, which, over time, stains and causes a rather unpleasant appearance. Clean it with a mixture of water, lemon juice and liquid detergent, rub with a sponge and remove with a cloth dampened with clean water.
- Coffee maker: Empty the filter, fill it with a cup of vinegar and water and run a cycle. Allow it to drain until it fills half of the jar and let it stand for 5 minutes, then remove with clean water.
- The refrigerator: Take out the shelves and racks and wash them with soap and water, get rid of damaged and rotten food and clean the inside with a vinegar and water solution. For stubborn dirt, rub with baking soda.
In the case of kitchen furniture and cabinets, you should know that the cleaner is not the one who cleans the most, but the one who dirties the least. Therefore, after cleaning them, place paper towels or plastic wrap on the base of the cabinet to change them in minutes and not have to clean it so frequently.
Mop the floor
Now that the dust is off, the bathroom is clean and the kitchen is sparkling clean, it’s time to mop the floors and wax them if necessary. Although bleach, vinegar and lemon can be great allies, take advice according to the material of the surface to be cleaned so as not to run the risk of damaging it.
Patio, terrace and outdoor areas
Just as in life, external well-being comes from within, so it is with a house. Once the cleaning inside is finished, it is time to wash the terrace, the garden and pick up the garbage, dry leaves and pet mess in the yard.
We hope that with these practical tips you will be able to clean your house thoroughly, without tiring yourself too much and without spending the whole week in this martyrdom. Remember that planning, organization and discipline are the keys to a neat and hygienic home.