There’s a lot of talk about how nice a picture on the wall, a pasted portrait, the current year’s calendar or a poster of your favorite band or artist looks, especially in a teenager’s room! –in my day was one of the Guns and Roses-. But, What about the glue used to hang these objects?
Once they are removed, the remains of tape or adhesive substances remain on the surface, spoiling the paint and its aesthetics. The same is true when installing decorative wallpaper in rooms or self-adhesive vinyl. However, removing these residues is not so difficult, but it is very important to maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the walls and to prevent stains that are impossible to remove.
In the past, we have addressed how to remove unpainted soot stains and soot stains most effective tactics for cleaning white walls (especially with creative little ones), today we reveal to you how to remove the glue from the wall with homemade tricks without damaging the paint, in a simple, economical and free of toxic components. You’ll be surprised how easy it is!
How to remove glue from a painted wall?
It is possible to remedy this problem and remove glue, adhesive and sticker residues with various products that you probably have at home, among them: olive oil and alcohol. We show you how to use them:
Soap and water
Before trying any kind of substance, try the most basic, non-corrosive formula: water with a little dishwashing liquid.
- Prepare a mixture of soap and water and moisten a cloth with it.
- Scrub the areas where there is glue that you want to remove.
- Let it take effect for 15 minutes so that it can be easily removed.
- After this time, wipe with another cloth dampened with clean water to remove the soap residue and the peeled adhesive.
And if it didn’t work, then try the following methods.
Because of its composition, olive oil is a natural glue remover, in fact, it is one of the most recommended when you need to remove chewing gum from your hair. In addition, it is common to have it in the pantry.
- Soak a cloth in olive oil.
- Rub the residues to make them shiny from the oil grease.
- Wait a few minutes for it to take effect and loosen the glue.
- Scrape with the help of a spatula or a blunt knife.
- When finished with all the glue on the wall, clean with soap and water.
Who doesn’t have a small bottle of alcohol in their emergency kit? This liquid is capable of softening the glue and helping to remove it effortlessly.
- Pour some alcohol on a soft sponge and rag.
- Rub in circular motions until you notice that it is completely wet.
- Allow it to take effect for 10 minutes and scrape with a spatula or knife.
- Wipe with a cloth dampened in clean water when finished.
Like alcohol, enamel remover is also capable of dissolving adhesive deposits on the paint, however, it is highly corrosive, so it is best to use only a little to avoid damaging the paint.
- Dip a clean cotton or cloth in acetone.
- Rub it over the glue stain.
- Let it soften for 2 to 3 minutes, no more to avoid fading the paint!
- Remove debris with kitchen paper
- Clean the surface with a damp cloth.
Double-sided tape glue is the most persistent and difficult to remove, and you’ll know if you’ve hung something with it. It’s really strong! Fortunately, there are techniques such as applying hot air from a hair dryer directly on the corners for a couple of minutes to soften the glue, and then lifting the edges with a spatula.
White vinegar or cleaning vinegar is undoubtedly one of the natural products favored by the general population. It is useful for almost everything! If you want to know how to remove tape glue from the wall with vinegar, the ideal way is this:
- In a bowl, mix two cups of water, one cup of vinegar and a splash of liquid soap.
- Soak a sponge and rub the area with glue.
- Clean with a cloth dampened in water.
Note: the acid in vinegar can become aggressive, so there is a risk that the paint will be affected. Clean the area accurately and do not wait too long with the cleaner applied.
How to clean vinyl glue residues?
It’s no secret that removing vinyl residue from the wall is torture, especially if you don’t know the right way to do it without suffering in the process. Don’t despair! You can achieve this in 3 steps.
You will need these materials:
- Burning alcohol.
- White cotton cloth.
- A soft sponge.
Procedure for removing wallpaper glue from wallpaper
- Wet the sponge with rubbing alcohol (not too much, remember that the idea is to wet the wall but not to drip).
- Rub with pressure on the glued areas until they begin to soften.
- Wait 5 minutes for it to take effect and gently wipe the wall with a white cloth dampened in alcohol to collect the residues and leave the wall clean.
And don’t forget:Never paint the wall with adhesive residue after removing a decorative vinyl or wallpaper. The results will be absolutely terrible! The surface will be embossed and will look very unsightly.
But if you removed the paper, poster or vinyl and painted without cleaning the wall of adhesive residue, then you will notice that it did not look as you expected and everything will look uneven. The way to remedy this is to sand the wall and repaint it, which is clearly much more complex.