There is a problem that is more common than you might think, and it has happened to all of us at some point that while ironing our garments, the factory accidentally sticks to the base, burning, staining and ruining the fabric irreversibly.
The disadvantage is that the adhering fabric melts and, in addition to damaging the clothes, it scratches and deteriorates the Teflon coating with the residue stuck to it, losing the softness that characterizes it and allows it to be ironed so effectively and quickly. This is when a complete cleaning of this appliance becomes essential cleaning of this appliance, which varies a little in comparison to the metallic ones.
Non-stick Teflon sheets are the most common finish on aluminum soles, which are not only very efficient, but also slide easily. However, continuous use and poor care causes the accumulation of burnt fiber debris and dirt. In this article, we show you how to clean a Teflon clothes iron properly to restore its condition and functionality.
How to clean a Teflon griddle
The good news is that there are several simple, inexpensive, and effective methods to keep a Teflon griddle clean if you take the time to clean the base, deal with particularly stubborn stains and sanitize the tank with a few items such as detergent, vinegar, and baking soda. We explain how to use each one below.
Basic cleaning of a Teflon griddle with detergent
- Prepare a cleaning solution with a little mild detergent or dishwashing liquid and warm water.
- Once this is done, clean the base with this cleaner formed with a microfiber or cotton cloth, paying special attention to the most ingrained stains and dirt.
- For the holes, help yourself with a few swabs or a toothpick for the most stubborn dirt.
- Finally, wipe with another clean damp cloth to remove all dirt and detergent residues.
How to clean clothes iron with baking soda, lemon and vinegar
- Switch on the griddle and turn it on at the minimum temperature for 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix some lemon juice, white vinegar and two tablespoons of baking soda.
- Form a paste with these ingredients and impregnate a cloth with it.
- Unplug the iron and rub over the Teflon iron base with caution so as not to accidentally burn yourself.
- Finally, wipe with a cloth dampened with water to remove the residues of this cleaner and the dirt and burnt pieces.
- If debris has not been completely removed, repeat the procedure.
How to clean a burnt Teflon griddle with hot vinegar
This substance is considered one of the great allies when it comes to eliminating the smell of dampness in clothes, removing scale and polishing glass, mirrors and crystals. In this case, it is the favorite to combat stains and stubborn marks on the iron metal. This is the procedure:
- Heat a glass of white vinegar and soak some soft towels, being careful not to burn yourself.
- Open the towels and place the iron on them and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
- You can also gently wipe the surface of the iron soleplate with a cloth dampened in vinegar that has been previously heated so as not to scratch it.
- With an ear swab soaked in hot vinegar, remove dirt from the grooves of the iron.
- To finish, wipe with a clean cloth to remove any peeling debris.
Steam clean the inside of the Teflon iron.
To remove hard water stains, accumulated minerals and scale lodged inside, do the following:
- Fill 1/4 of the tank with vinegar and the remaining 3/4 with warm water.
- Switch on the iron and set it to the highest steam level.
- Place the iron in an upright position so that the steam can rise more easily and so that you do not burn any surfaces underneath.
- Wait for the iron to steam until the vinegar and water solution is finished.
- To finish, fill the tank again with clean water and set it at a high-temperature level; let it be completely consumed to discard any vinegar residue from the inside.
Note: If the iron has an automatic shut-off setting, you must ensure that it remains on.
Now that you know the ideal process for optimal cleaning and maintenance of Teflon plates, it is time to leave yours shiny, in excellent condition, and functional for many years to come.