A fundamental part of a house is the kitchen; in fact, there are millions of people who consider it “the heart of the home,” and that is where the magic comes from. Food brings hearts together, especially when they are delicious juicy baked dishes, such as chicken thighs rolled with ham and egg or tender cod baked with butter that made my mouth water!
Although everything seems rosy, the reality is different. When making all these recipes that make you a top chef in front of your loved ones, even if you don’t realize it at first glance, a lot of food and grease is accidentally spilled inside the oven, and once dry, they are really difficult to remove.
There are many cleaning products; the difficult thing is to find the right ones that are not corrosive, that do not deteriorate the interior material, and that is not too toxic. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you. In past opportunities, we revealed the key to sanitizing the oven glass, but in this article, we tell you how to clean a very dirty and burnt oven, get rid of the stuck dirt and leave it spotless.
How to clean a very dirty oven with natural remedies?
If you have put off cleaning this appliance, burnt residues have likely accumulated inside. We know it’s a bit of a chore, that you look at it from the corner of your eye daily… Don’t think twice! Try these simple, effective, and inexpensive home tricks to clean the oven and remove stuck-on grease once and for all – and without chemicals!
Oven cleaning with vinegar
This substance has antimicrobial propertiesand is an infallible ally to help remove the greasy layer that lodges on the inner surface of the oven. Although white food vinegar and apple cider vinegar work, cleaning vinegar contains more acidity, and will be more potent in these cases. See how to use it:
- Mix 2 cups of water and 1 cup of vinegar.
- With the help of a sponge or cloth, spread this mixture on the walls, floor, racks and the inside of the oven door.
- Turn the oven on at 200 degrees for 30 minutes so that the vapors generated by the heat and the acidic effect of the vinegar are responsible for softening and loosening the dirt.
- Wipe with a damp cloth to remove all traces of loose dirt.
Clean the oven with lemon
Simple, easy to obtain and inexpensive. In addition to disinfecting thanks to its antiseptic properties, it is a natural degreaser that will also eliminate bad odors. You will only need a couple of lemons, a sponge and possibly a plastic or silicone spatula to scrape off the most persistent remains.
- In a baking dish, squeeze both lemons, their peels and add a little water.
- Bring the tray inside and turn the oven on at 120 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes.
- After this time, wait for it to cool, scrub the dirt with a scouring pad and, if necessary, scrape it off with a spatula.
- When all the dirt has come off, wipe dry with a cloth.
Note: Take advantage of the lemon water to sanitize the parts with the most accumulated grease.
Oven cleaning with baking soda and vinegar
For those looking to disinfect, degrease and neutralize odors without wasting time and effort, baking soda is the right choice. Cleaning a very dirty oven with baking soda is very simple and is also perfect for removing grease and dirt stuck to the oven tray.
- Take out the racks, trays and any utensils inside the oven.
- Prepare a paste with 10 tablespoons of baking soda, 4 tablespoons of hot water and 3 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Spread the pasty composition over the entire surface of the oven.
- Add a little extra vinegar and you will notice how it reacts and starts to bubble. The chemical reaction will help loosen the dirt and make sanitizing easier.
- Let it act for several hours. Our advice is to do this during the night before going to sleep, and in the morning when you wake up, complete the grooming,
- When it has rested, with a damp cloth, remove the grease, stuck and burnt food and scrub with a scouring pad or a spatula if necessary.
Other effective methods to clean heavily soiled ovens
Here are other simple and affordable methods for cleaning electric or gas stove ovens:
If you don’t have baking soda on hand, you can innovate by creating a dough with yeast and vinegar. Simply mix 10 tablespoons of yeast and two tablespoons of water in a bowl. You will notice that a brown paste will form, spread it over the entire surface and let it act for at least 10 to 12 hours. To finish, remove the remains with a damp cloth, remove the vinegar, spray with water and vinegar and wipe with a clean wet cloth.
Clean oven racks with Coke
Yes, really! Using black cola is an extremely useful technique to soften the burnt residues on the grids. You will only need to soak them for 30 minutes in this liquid (whatever the brand), scrub with a metal scouring pad, and rinse and dry well with a towel.
Common or table salt is an ideal ecological substitute for removing stubborn grease stains thanks to its astringent properties. In a container, pour ½ liter of water and 250 grams of salt, mix well, and pour this cleaner on the walls, floor, and oven door; let it act for 25 minutes, rub with a sponge or scouring pad and collect the residues with a cloth dampened in white vinegar.
Do not forget that the inside of the oven full of burnt grease and food leftovers is a hotbed of bacteria and dangerous microorganisms. In addition, the final flavor of the recipes will be affected by the odors emanated when the oven is turned on. So don’t think having a clean range is only a matter of aesthetics; it’s a health priority!