Although they are very fashionable, look great with almost any look, and go with everything, one of the disadvantages of wearing white sneakers is that once they get dirty (which is pretty fast), they hardly ever go back to being spotless like you bought them in the first place. So, there is no choice but to wear them “dirty” in the best classic style.
If you are not so keen on the second style, it is vital that you know the right way to clean white sneakers and leave them spotless. For that reason, today, I want to share these homemade tricks to return your shoes to their initial color without investing almost nothing and without headaches. You should clean and disinfect the mattress, not doing so has awful consequences: Find out how to do it.
The eight best ways to clean white shoes with homemade tricks
Before you start, you must look at the label on the shoes to see if you can put them in the washing machine so that you don’t accidentally ruin them. Usually, the fabric can be rinsed in the washing machine without any problem. Similarly, you can clean white shoes manually by following any of the following recommendations as appropriate.
Baking soda and detergent for delicate white sneakers
If the type of fabric your shoes are made of is more delicate and you don’t want to use aggressive chemicals, and you don’t think it’s a good idea to put them in the washing machine, do the following:
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of laundry detergent until a homogeneous paste is formed.
- With the help of a toothbrush, rub the stains until they diminish as much as possible.
- Rinse gently and allow to air dry.
Baking soda and vinegar, an ancient technique!
This is one of the population’s most known and used techniques worldwide. It’s an ace up your sleeve if you go for white and love to be impeccable everywhere. You will only need baking soda, white vinegar, water, and a toothbrush or clothes brush. This is the procedure:
- Fill a container with water, dissolve two tablespoons of baking soda and vinegar, and mix well.
- Moisten the shoes with this mixture, and with the brush, rub the stains and dirty areas of the shoes (including the sole).
- Let them soak for at least 30 minutes more for the mixture to take effect.
- Rinse properly and let them dry.
Coarse salt to remove encrusted stains from white shoes
This is one of the most effective ways to whiten yellowed fabric sneakers; however, although this is the most effective way, it is also a bit abrasive and not recommended for finer fabrics. Salt absorbs grease and adhering dirt when fresh. You will only need coarse kitchen salt and a toothbrush. Here are the steps to follow:
- Dampen the brush and rub salt on the stain for a minute to soften it.
- Coat all the dirt with more salt and let it sit for a couple of hours.
- After this time, rub again, rinse with warm water very well and let it air dry.
Lemon, a very versatile fruit
This is perhaps the quickest, cheapest, and simplest way to fight stains on white fabrics of footwear or any other garment. It is considered an excellent substitute for bleach but of natural origin. All you have to do is to cut the lemon in half, rub over the stains with a little force, and leave the citrus fruit to act for 2 minutes. Rinse with plenty of lukewarm water.
Another of the most effective tactics for leather shoes, imitation leather, and the rubber part of the sole (although it may seem strange) is toothpaste. Yes, the one you brush your teeth with every day. All you need to do to remove stubborn stains is to cover them with this element, rub with a toothbrush, leave it on for 20 minutes, and wipe off with a damp tissue.
Eraser, ideal for quick cleaning of white shoes
If your white leather, leatherette, rubber, or leather slippers get dirty by accident and you are away from home, the solution is an open secret that you may not know yet: eraser. Yes, really! Simply carry a rubber band in your bag when you wear white shoes and rub it when you see a stain until it disappears as much as possible.
This product is widely used nowadays to remove make-up from the face in a gentle way and take care of the skin structure. It works very well to clean white shoes, especially those made of suede, leather, or rubber, however, it is not suitable for ink or oil stains. The process is simple, just dampen a clean cloth in micellar water and rub it until the color comes out.
Bleach, the solution to impossible stains
Also known as chlorine or bleach, this strong oxidant is used as a disinfectant (ideal to fight bacteria) and bleach par excellence. Remember that as it is highly corrosive and dangerous for people and the environment, the correct thing is to apply it carefully using gloves and a protective mask. In a container with water, add a little bleach and clean with a sponge area with a lot of dirt.
This is the correct way to wash white sneakers so that they do not turn yellowish
Have you already removed the stains that bothered you so much by following one of the tricks detailed above? It’s time to give your shoes a thorough wash so that the result is perfect from every angle.
- Remove the cords and wash them separately with white vinegar and baking soda.
- Remove dirt from the surface with a clothes brush.
- Make sure that the soap used is not too abrasive.
- Mix warm water, baking soda, and dishwashing soap or laundry detergent in a bowl and rub the shoe in a general way using the brush to remove all the dirt.
- Allow the mixture to act for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soap with a damp cloth and let them dry at room temperature under the sun, but not too long to not affect the material or the color.