The arrival of autumn brings with it a huge hobby in Spain: Collecting mushrooms. The fungus proliferates during the first rains of this time of year, so many already prepare their baskets to go for one of them.
But picking a mushroom in a responsible and sustainable way requires the implementation of some techniques. Otherwise, the environmental damage would be enormous, although you cannot see it with the naked eye.
They are rich in properties, so they are healthy for the human body. Its consumption provides vitamins, fibers and minerals, but it also guarantees a significant dose of protein.
They are also extremely delicious, which is why they also integrate any number of recipes. So, to enjoy its good flavor and its nutrients you have to know how to collect them, so here we will tell you.
How to collect a mushroom safely?
First things are most important: Distinguish between edible and toxic mushrooms . The difference lies mainly in their appearance, smell and the color of the spores . Of course, when it comes to harvesting, you will go for the ones you can eat, so we show you how.
1. Picking mushrooms by hand
It is as simple as taking the mushroom by the stem, then rotating it up to 360 degrees. Avoid ripping them off in one fell swoop to avoid damaging the mycelium.
2. Picking mushrooms with a razor
It is best to measure from the base, but horizontally. Do not put the razor in the ground, otherwise you will damage the mycelium. It is the technique most used by those who generally collect mushrooms.
Take into account the following recommendations when picking a mushroom.
- It does not matter which of the two harvesting methods you apply, the essential thing is not to remove the soil, much less the leaves, around the mushrooms.
- If you want, you can gently wipe the surface of the mushrooms if they are covered in soil. But it is better to carry out this procedure at home. If you don’t know how to do it, we will tell you how to clean mushrooms so as not to spoil them .
- After extracting the fungus, it is recommended to cover the soil where it was cultivated with the same soil. The intention is to keep the mycelium safe.
- Store the mushrooms in a wicker basket. Never do it inside a plastic bag, as it makes the perspiration process difficult. The wicker baskets make it easy to move and prevent damage on the way home.
- The hymenium of the fungus (the lower area of the hat) must be face down inside the basket. In this way, the mushroom will drop its handcuffs through the holes.
- Since you are going to collect these edible mushrooms, you should inform yourself about the permits you need for the collection. Some areas require this requirement, as they are protected by man.
Are you interested in picking mushrooms during the fall season? Well, you know perfectly how to do it, so get to work. Once you get hold of these mushrooms, you can prepare them in any recipe to enjoy their flavor and nutritional benefits. You just have to be very careful during the harvesting process so as not to harm the environment.